May He Produce Brilliant Examples Of Boys Who Will Shine In The Society
Sri Jayawardanapura Maha Vidyalaya is an exclusive Opening Main Boys school In Kotte. The school after 190 years of service to the nation has grown to over 1800 pupils guided by over 90 teachers on the staff.
1822-1858 - Cotta Institute
1858-1934 - CMS Boys School
1934-1964 - Christian College
1964-2012 - Sri Jayawardenapura Maha Vidyalaya
Formation of the first old boys association runs as far back as1922 during the period of Rev. A.C. Houlder. This was made with a view to celebrating the centenary of the school. Since then there was steady progress of the OBA activities running through the periods of Mr. E. D. Thambimuttu (1950-1959) and Mr. S.L.A.Rathnayake (1959-1964). The period of Mr. E.D.Thambimuttu was in fact known as the golden era of OBA activities. With the takeover of the school by the Government in the early1960s saw an end to most of the funding and things deteriorated rapidly. Significant changes took place in almost every sphere.
In the late 1960s and 1970s, the students felt the need for the service of the old boys at a time when everything was on the decline. In a revival, with the guidance of Principal Mr. M.M. Punchhetti (1973-1982) a junior OBA was formed in 1978 which inspired old boys of all ranks to get behind our old school one by one. Though at a slow pace they kept things moving, kept the school flag flying and has come all this long. But not enough! Yet a long way to go.
Now we have a vision and a mission to fulfil the needs of the school maintaining its highest traditions and norms and to lead from the front for which purpose we need to reach all the old boys scattered all around this small world.