This school founded by the Methodist Missionaries in 1820 has grown from strength to strength, year by year during last 188 years shining in all its glory as a beacon of light in the educational arena of the Eastern Province. It has steered thousands of students to prosperity and success in their careers and social positions. Vincent Girls High School was one of the few pioneer institutions for girls education in the Eastern Sri Lanka.
Miss.A.M.Beauchamp was the first principal to assume office in 1877. She took full responsibility and organized education in the school. The first prize giving was held during her time. Before the arrival of the first principal the school was managed by the wives of the missionaries. The school was housed in Joshua Hall that existed in Mudaliyar Street, Batticaloa, during its early beginnings before it was shifted to the present premises. The school was for sometime a Tamil school, for sometime a bi-lingual and also a mixed school.
After the time of Miss.Beachamp three principals had served the school until 1985. They were Miss.A.Y.Sargent, Miss.M.Robinson and Miss.E.D.Trimmer. It was during the time of Miss.A.A.Vincent between 1895 and 1903; the school was registered as an English school and named after Miss.Vincent as Vincent Girls High School. There were sixteen girls in the school then. As the numbers increased, accommodation for boarders commenced during her time. Three lady principals by names; Miss.I.M.Hall, Miss.M.Duckering, Miss.E.M.Church and Miss.A.R.Fuller one after another in succession.
Miss.Croft the last of all European educationists to have served the school took over the school with 84 students on its roll. She was the architect of the Institution both in the field of education and in its structural development. She started sports activities, Girl Guiding, Singing and folk dancing in the school. She also formed as club in which the girls were made to ride bicycle for first time. She inaugurated the Past Pupils Association in August 1934. The Croft Hall was built during her period. Miss.A.Pdman, an Arts Graduate from India, a worthy successor of Miss.Croft, became principal in 1949. Padman Block that stands in the road frontage of the school premises was built in memory of her.
The Government took over the schools in 1961. Mrs.R.Chinniah was the first national principal. She was succeeded by Mrs.P.Vythianathan, the first past pupils of the school and the second past pupil to become the principal was Mrs.P.Pakiyarajah. Mrs.S.Pavalakanthan took office in 1990. She was followed by another old girl Mrs.S.Chakkaravarthy.
As from 2007 the mantle of Vincent school has been alighted upon the forth past pupil of the school Mrs.S.Kulendrakumar with number on roll of about 1800 and about 86 teachers, it is earnestly hoped that she will bring honour and glory by upholding the high traditions of this historic institutions.