The birth of the college as a result of the educational reform that was brought along with the 1920 political reforms. The school was started as a religious school in a cadjan shed which belonged to the Hinguloya Masjidul Huda. Mr V. Samuel from Mannar was appointed as the first teacher. On 23 March 1921, the school which was named Hinguloya Tamil Mixed School was registered as a Government School and the first student registered was late Dr A. T. M. A Azeez. Late A. M. Abdul Rahman Marikkar and A. M. Majeed Marikkar constructed the building for the school. But until 1943, there was no notable progress to be seen and the classes were only up to Grade Five. In 1943 Grade Six class was started and since then many incidents worthy of mentioning commenced in the history of the school. In 1928, the late Mr D. L. M. Haniffa was appointed as a Monitor Teacher to the school. Being young and enthusiastic, in the field of education and social consciousness, he played an important role in the development of the school. As a result of his untiring efforts, the S.S. C. Class was started in 1946. There were only four students in the class. Pandithar S. Sangarapillai of Chawakachcheri taught all the subjects to these students and made two of them get through the examination. One of them was former Principal of Zahira late Mr M. C. M. Riyal and the other, late Mr Rafeek who served as a Vice-Principal of the school for some time. The result of these students brought enthusiasm in education and an awakening feeling in the school.